Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Introduction


I purchased this bus off a craigslist listing advertised by a church selling the bus. I also got two rooftop air conditioner units and a generator to power them. They are half the value of the bus.
I am going to try to catch readers up to where I am currently. I bought the bus in April, right before Easter. Since then life as been every bit of the adventure I wanted, but not in the ways I planned.
First off, my friends think I lost my mind and maybe I have. I've read virtually every web site on bus conversion and I am pretty sure this is exactly the thing for me. I started off knowing I wanted to travel. Then I had to decide if I wanted to tow a trailer or buy a class A motorhome (the kind you drive and live in). I liked class A motorhomes. I had my mind made up that I was going class A motorhome. That was until I found out about buses. These behemoth creatures are the biggest, strongest vehicles out there and can be converted into someone's home. And mine has the cool rear engine(pusher) diesel engine, It is an 8.2L V8 Detroit Diesel. and the previously mention AC units and generator. So I have a great foundation to build my mobile palace. Sort of. I drove to Johnson City TN to pick up my new home. Pulling into the parking lot I saw the pastor with the pastor and his bus I knew instantly that I loved this bus. It is a classic 1972 GMC/Carpenter bus, flat front instead of dog nose. It ran great although I was cautioned about using 1st gear (Basically DON"T USE IT unless you come to a stop first. If not you are stuck in first gear until you break open the transmission and set things right. I later learned I was not lied to about that fact.
There are many people who do bus conversions but mine is under unique situations. The biggest being that I am having to convert it while living in it. I moved out of my house with the intention of saving that money and putting it towards the bus while parking and renovating it at a friends house. That plan worked...for about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment