Sunday, August 23, 2009

Near Disaster Averted

I was just mentioning electrical stuff in my last post. And I just had a potentially catastrophic problem happen earlier this week. As I was leaving Lowe's my headlights started acting strange but then seemed to work alright. Then my running lights (the ones around the top of my bus so people at night can really see me) start blinking in a very delibrate pattern....10 seconds off, 1 second on. I know this is not good. I think it is just low voltage because my gauge showing whether the alternator is charging my battery or not is dead, so I assume my battery isn't getting a charge and has slowly been drained. I think this is an odd warning system.

Then I caught a distinct wiff of electrical smoke. Very scary. The wires on this bus can burn it down if they are messed up. So in the Haywood Mall parking lot at night I donned my miners light and tore into the walls. This is what I found. I cluster of 15 wires welded together by sheer heat.
This was after I cut away part of the protective sheath (the part that wasn't already burned away. You can clearly see where the insulation around the wires was melted away leaving exposed wires.
Here I am very concerned about the predicament I found myself in. The cables are over my left shoulder, the burned parts are just south of my left shoulder.

I spent about a half hour pulling the wires apart. They all melted together. This is what was left. Some wires were burnt in half, others just lost their insulation. Very bad stuff.
I pulled out my box of wire connectors and repaired the wires. Only took 2 sweaty hours of work. Then I put the decorative yellow electrical tape around the connectors so there would be no mistake where I had made my fixes.
I then encased all the wires in a hard plastic sheath and I am in the process of tucking them back in place. You can see the very thick sheet metal I had to bend back to access the lower parts of the wires. That was particularly tough and the rivets would not break. When I get some steady strong electricity I am going to break out my angle grinder and completely remove that metal.
All in all everything works again and I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment