Saturday, September 12, 2009

Friends and the Future

I have been in a reflective mood this weekend. I am really really thankful for the friends and the different help they have provided. The littlest things, like Britt letting me come over and use his internet connection to post to this blog and take care of a few other online business things. He also lets me use his freezer to freeze aquafina bottles and milk jugs so I can have long term ice in my cooler, and he lets me charge all my various batteries, from my AAA to Power Tool battery (which coincidently Britt is loaning me his Lithium powered Drill and batteries) to my two 12 volt deep cycle batteries. Plus occasionally he lets me do my laundry. He's not the only person, Charles Bordner has also surprised me with his helpfulness, Laundry, Employment, long distance road side assistance to name a few of his stellar qualities. I am surprised, because although I considered these guys friends they were the normal friends you have in adulthood. We were there for each other but none of us ever got really tested by the other. Nobody had to get bailed out of jail at 3am for dui or give up a kidney to save a life. The only favors asked were small, helpful gestures...can you help me move something heavy, can I borrow your trailer that you aren't using to pick up some wood from home depot. Only since I have moved into the bus have I realized the full generosity of my friends. I couldn't have even gotten this far without their help. They reschedule plans to help me out. I unwittingly put them to the test and I am pleasantly surprised to discover that I am indeed a good judge of character. Even Britt's girlfriend Eli (Elizabeth) has dumbfounded me with her generosity, that is totally above the call of duty. My old friend DJ, who is a tried and true giving spirit, continued to be so even though I haven't been totally worthy. I am such a lucky guy. I wasn't really volunteering to be a burden to those I knew when I made this decision but not one of them has ever made me feel like I was putting them out when I called and needed help. I just hope one day I can be there when they need me, even if I have to drive cross country to do it. Who knows they might need a kidney one day.

Britt & Eli


Charles

Britt & MeDJ


I am looking forward to this coming trip back to Spartanburg. I helped Britt's mom, Sandra, clean out her shed today and she gave me several hundred pounds of stuff for the bus. I got great old wood that you can't even buy in the stores anymore, I got paint, I got tools, I got floor rugs, I got a coffee table, I got aluminum poles I am going to use to make a ladder to attach to the back of the bus. After this trip, all I will need to do is install plumbing. I like the way my life is going, I don't have to wait till the end of November to be thankful, I am sincerely thankful every day. I'll have new pictures to post when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment