Friday, September 11, 2009

Yesterday I was Stranded

I experienced my most uncomfortable moment yesterday. My bus broke down on Pelham rd. More than likely it ran out of gas, which seems like a trivial problem but isn't on a diesel powered vehicle. My first issue was that I was awoken yesterday morning by the police. Friendly enough guys once I met and talked with them. But being brought out of a blissful sleep by thunderous pounding on different doors of my bus (seems they didn't know which door was my front door, as my side exit door was pummeled first) gives one a jolt of energy. Seems one of the tenants of the fairly deserted parking lot I chose to 'camp' in was uncomfortable with my bus being parked there. The officers directed me to the nearest Walmart-where it was ok to 'camp'. I knew this already but wasn't wanting to explain the finer details of changing it up.
After I get everything situated I head out and within 100yds of leaving my bus dies. My gas gauge needle was flirtatiously dancing on the white line of 'E'. I've been there before. I have at least 5 more gallons to go. Nope. I didn't. And my cell phone was out of minutes. And I was out of money. and I wasn't sure it was just an out of gas issue. So I went to the library about 95 yds away and called an old friend, DJ, who came to my rescue with a can of his best unleaded. Clearly DJ hasn't followed my blog or he would have understood that my 8.2L Detroit Diesel only drank big boy juice. But he drove me to a gas station and filled my 5 gallon can up with the right stuff. But when we returned, poured diesel in, it still wouldn't start. DJ had to run, so I was left alone again. I changed both fuel filters, never done that before on any vehicle. Oh I forgot to mention that I am in the middle median of a 4 lane rd...just where I want to be doing mechanic work. The changing of fuel filters didn't work. I went to library and researched diesel engines not starting. I learned, and had been told previously, NEVER let it run out of gas. I like to learn my lessons the hard way. Long story shortened...a spray from a can of ether (isn't that what hospitals used to anesthetize patients with?) shot into the air filter did the trick. It is suppose to be a two man job, one shooting the ether the other turning the key. I would spray the ether and then run to the front of the bus and hop into the drivers seat and hit the ignition. First two times I got optimistic grumbles from the engine area, third time I really sprayed that air filter and it cranked right up. I was very very happy. But in the 6 hrs I was stranded in the middle of the road I had plenty of time to think and question what I was doing. For the first time fear crept into my thinking. I started off when the bus originally died in my usual optimistic attitude...this sucks but I will figure it out...that gave way to what am I going to do, no mechanic would work on it where it sat, a tow truck would cost $200 and I had no money anyhow. How did I get myself in this jam? But tragedy was averted as usual. But I chalk it up to another lesson branded into my brain. And with a 1972 bus it is only a matter of time until the next mechanical breakdown happens...but I am not sweating it because I will figure out a way to fix it...I always do.

No comments:

Post a Comment