Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Blow Out

A few weeks ago I was driving on I-40 between Sparta and Nashville for work. I have written many times before that I had concerns about my dry rotted tires. Well I pushed them to the breaking point. I had a front steering wheel blow out doing about 65mph. It was driver's side tire. It immediately yanked me into the left lane, luckily nobody was driving beside me. I quickly assessed the situation and decelerated as fast as I safely could, careful not to hit the brakes hard. I pulled off the highway.
I spent the next two hours calling 411 and various tow companies finding nobody able to change a bus tire. Even the Tennessee Highway Patrolman who stopped to check on me got on the phone and even had dispatch searching for someone in the area that had the capability to help me.
Finally after all the calls I found someone that could and would come out and help me. I ended up paying $200 to get a tire changed.
When I got to Nashville I found a place that sold used bus tires and replaced all 6 tires. It set me back another $800. But now I am driving on Michelin tires that don't have a single crack in them anywhere.




I am currently residing in Johnson City, TN. I am now Crew Manager/Foreman. I go to projects, hire a crew, train them and manage them. A crew is around 8-10 people. Once it is up and running I go start a new project. And the cycle continues. Right now on the horizon it looks like my next destination will be Jackson, TN. Halfway between Nashville and Memphis.
I will post pictures from work stuff on my next posting.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you handled this situation without injury and that you now have reliable tires.

    ReplyDelete