Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The return of the Smartest Man in the world

In my last post a few hours ago I wrote about my air brake issue.  To sum it up, they didn't work because of the extreme cold.  I had guessed that my air compressor had given up the ghost or I had a clog.  Through my brilliant (some might call it Mensa-like) deduction I identified and corrected the problem.  Once again I feel like the smartest man in the world!
I started by taking a online crash course in Air Brakes.  I knew that moisture can accumulate in the hoses and with sub zero temperatures the day before, I suspected frozen hoses.  Problem was finding and removing the clot.  I don't like to brag...(much), but the operation I preformed was akin to a skilled brain surgeon removing a clot.  I got the bus cranked (no small feat in itself) and let it run the entire 2 hours I worked on the capillary like hoses.  I crawled under the grime covered belly of the beast bus.  I opened the petcock that I normally use to drain water trapped in the air tank.  It usually greets me with a whoosh of air spewing out.  This time is was a pitifully small hiss.  I used the unlikely mechanic's tool, the hammer.  I find that getting all Neanderthal on pesky mechanical parts is a good place to start.  Actually, I just gently tapped the tanks and copper lines going into the tanks.  My intention was to loosen any loose ice pieces (clots).  Isn't that the way all the top surgeons start?
Long story short...I tap, crawl out from underneath the bus, run into the bus, rev the engine for a few minutes, stare at the non moving needle on the air gauge dial that is stuck on 0, grab some rubbing alcohol and cut tips, crawl under bus, shove alcohol drenched Q-tip into air valve, crawl out from under bus, rev engine, suppress panic when needle still doesn't move, and repeat the whole process 20 more times.  About the 20th time the needle starts to move.  It was working.  But when I pushed the brake pedal, it dropped to zero again.  I resumed what I was doing and I got positive feedback when the tank started to spit tiny ice balls out before clogging again.  After two hours of this madness, I finally got the needle to go to 120 PSI and stay even when the brake was depressed.  I kept working though because I didn't want a clot to get loose and clog another tiny copper hose while I was driving down a traffic light infested road.
I finally felt safe to drive it 15 miles and I am happy to report that it works like a champ.  It is particularly satisfying because I have only the most essential, basic knowledge of air brakes yet I fixed a major problem with the system.  My confidence level went through the roof.  It has been awhile since I have had that feeling.  I solved it all by myself....renewing my claim to being the smartest man in the world.  Even the mechanics in the area that I spoke to knew nothing of air brakes.  
I am not even concerned about the cold weather tonight because I am still aglow from my accomplishment.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome post Brian. Glad you were able to fix air brakes when no one else could tackle the mighty challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to go look it up, but there's a solution that truck drivers add to their air brake lines during the winter time to prevent the air brakes from freezing up, learned of it, ironically, watching the first seasons of Ice Road Truckers.

    Since moisture is a common problem with any compressed air system, it might be good to invest in getting some of this solution and introducing it into your air system whenever the temps drop into the deep freeze category :).

    ReplyDelete