Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Super Cold in Denver

The weather was -9 degrees last night.  Fortunately for the past three days I have been staying at a friend's house.  I decided that I was not properly prepared to survive in any comfort for this long on the bus.  Today I am getting properly prepared.
I have tried to paint a word picture of how cold the bus gets but I have only been successful in giving the reader only a clue.  I think that a persons imagination can only be stretched so far.  I have taken more pictures and working on a video.  It is amazing and I am determined to weather the storm/s.
Right now I am focusing on taking care of my engine.  I started the bus the other night to make sure it would actually start.  The biggest problem is the air brakes.  It was pumping up.  This is critical because I won't be able to disengage the emergency brake until it pumps up to 90 PSI.  Also another trivial point is that I won't have any brakes.  My first guess is that there was water in the air lines that froze and is blocking the flow.  Today will only get up to 31 degrees.  I am about to go attempt to start the engine again and see if the problem fixed itself.  The other problem was that there is an alarm that goes off until the air tanks are full.  It emits an annoying sound like an alarm clock going off.  This is electrical and I am really concerned why that wasn't going off.
Once I get the bus going, I plan to go buy some accessories for my propane heater and fuel for my generator.  Then I will break out my hair dryer and install the shrink wrap over the windows to keep them from getting frosting over and killing visibility.  Also helping with insulation.
This is the most exciting thing I have encountered in months and it is a little scary.  I need to a good challenge like this to keep me sharp.  I do admit though, that I enjoyed the last three days at my friend's toasty warm house.  I find that I am really thankful for the little things I use to take for granted.  Nothing like winter bus living to make you realize that.  This is exactly the lessons I want to learn, really learn, about being appreciative.  I don't like that I had taken so much for granted.  I am shedding all entitlement issues, even entitlement to heat so that I can fully appreciate the little things.  I know it isn't for everybody or maybe anybody but I embrace it and feel that it works for me.
Here are some pics

A few of us got together Saturday to move Jason and Andrea into their new house.
Ian taking stuff from apartment to U-Haul

Jerry and Ian shuttling stuff into the new home

Moving in

Post move group shot (Jason and Andrea are a step down and to my right)

Denver has no shortage of snow plows.  Schools rarely have a snow day here.

Effects of the cold on stuff inside the bus:  Dish detergent frozen solid

Water bowl for pets turns water into a giant hockey puck


I am looking for new experience and boy have I found them.  I have helped friends move a dozen times but never in the snow.  I have been cold but not like this.  But don't feel bad for me.  I look at it as racking up points on my man card.  I ask myself " What would Bear Grylls do?"  I am one step away from building an igloo and using a bottle of my own urine to keep warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment