Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Check In for Vandy Study

I checked in today for my initial 3 night stay for the Vanderbilt study. For the first time in a year I will sleeping in a bed within a structure built on a foundation. I have a bright mural on my wall of an African safari, it really warms the otherwise antiseptic room.
I have filled out the menu's for the meals I will be having while I am here. The menu's are the kind that you circle what you want from a list. For tonight's meal I had an individual size pizza, Cheeseburger, Fried Chicken, Macaroni and Cheese, a roll, a banana, an apple and oreos. Shortly after Nurse Erin delivered the menu's to the kitchen, that one of the kitchen staff came up to the room, peeked in and asked what time to bring dinner. She was a petite older black woman who looked like she knew her way around a kitchen. But I quickly found out the real reason she came was to get a look at me. She said 'I thought you were going to be a big guy' as she gestured the universal sign of a husky guy, arms bowed out like carrying an unusually large load of laundry. When she came back later she admonished that she 'expected me to eat it all'. I did not let her down. I believe she may have been impressed.
The only meal I was not allowed to chose is tomorrow's breakfast. They have a very specific breakfast picked out for me and they want me to eat it. I will. But I am curious as to what it is and if it will be enough to hold me until lunch.




The table of papers that I had to sign and the vials to collect blood samples.

2 comments:

  1. Trying to decide if you ate all of that because you've been so strict lately or because you haven't seen fried chicken in a year? Breakfast will be a scrambled egg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bi-annual Thanksgiving feast. And it WAS my first fried chicken in a year. I am going to have THAT every night.
    Breakfast better not be eggs. Probably half an apple and two strawberries.

    ReplyDelete