Friday, July 8, 2011

Interesting weather and some sightseeing

Yesterday turned out to be one beautiful rainy mess.  I love a rainy night.  I was able to watch as the storm developed over Denver.  I thought I might be witnessing a potential tornado forming.  It dissipated shortly after taking this photo.
It is comforting to know that my local library has this...just in case.

A friend wanted to surprise me with an outing.  The rain caused us to have to change plans several times but a picnic and a bottle of wine on top of an overlook in Golden, Colorado turned out to be perfect.   The drive up was an adventure of sorts for me.  The roads were wet, the drop-offs steep, the driver distracted, the passenger white knuckling his camera.   Good times.

I used this photo op as an excuse to put my feet on terra firma for a few minutes.

We passed by the place where I watched fireworks earlier in the week.  One of the coolest firework viewing places I have ever been.  It is on top of the Mesa in the distance.  A group of us hiked up a trail (which was officially closed) filled with switchbacks and loose rocks.  The hike and the top of the mesa were better than the actual fireworks show.   The mesa also overlooked the Coors brewing factory.  I will be making this hike again soon.

As I mentioned before it was a rainy night which was great.  It didn't impair the view too much.  Here is Golden at night from our parking vantage point.  It was spectacular and it is exactly the kind of hidden treasures that I like discovering here in the Denver area.
I have been fortunate to find so many cool people that enjoy the things I do.  But as they told me, I am in Colorado, most people like doing things outdoors.  Awesome!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! That sure looked like a tornado to me, glad it didn't keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good that it didn't fully form. That area is right over downtown Denver.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh, a bottle of wine, a nice hike....good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracey, I just caught this. Look at you reading between the lines. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete