Tuesday, July 19, 2011

On the Move

Ever since I have come to the Denver area I have been residing in the southern most side of town.  Tonight, I am moving.  My destination is an area more central in Denver.  The bus radiator issue has not been resolved yet.  Which will make the trip that much more interesting.  I can run the bus for maybe 15 minutes at a time before the temperature reaches critical levels.  I anticipate having to stop 2, maybe 3, times before I reach my new home.  I will wait until the wee hours of the morning when the temperature is the lowest and traffic at it's lightest.
This is a good move.  I will be within cycling distance of virtually everywhere I want to be downtown.  And speaking of cycling, that is my newest, favorite way to commute.  I haven't seriously ridden a bike since I was a kid.  Mainly, as one author noted  "because of growing up in the south where it was believed only pinko, commie, bedwetters traveled under their own propulsion, I risked decapitation by baseball bat from a moving pickup truck."  In Denver, you ain't nobody if you don't have at least one bike.  My bike came courtesy of Bryan, the guy whose house I stayed at in Eastern Colorado.  He picked it up at a yard sale for me.  It is the best gift I have received in some time.  I have been utilizing the light rail, which allows me to bring the bike onboard.  Then, I get off at the appropriate station and bike to where I want to be.  Besides the convenience factor, I can't help feel a little smug about the health benefits that my new mode of transportation provides.  Dan even gave me a lock to accessorize my bike.  Leanne tried to give me a helmet, but the helmet was nicer than the bike, and that just wouldn't do.  I may change my opinion in the future.  City cycling has some definite hazards that I never faced on backwoods trails as a kid.  Denver traffic.
So tonight I move and my commutes around town become easier.   I am still lovin' me some Denver.

No comments:

Post a Comment