Thursday, July 21, 2011

Relocated or Dislocated

I successfully made the move a couple of nights ago to the new side of town.  I say successfully because I am here.  It was not efficient.  As I mentioned in my previous post, I anticipated having to stop frequently due to my radiator problems.  I did not anticipate how long a hot diesel engine takes to cool down when parked.  The ten mile trip only needed 3 stops but took 5 hours.   It takes about an hour and a half per stop for the engine temp to slip below 130 degrees, a temperature I felt good enough to continue.  I learned that the heat dissipates faster from around 200 degrees to 150 degrees than it does for it to go from 150 to 130.  I arrived at my destination at 4am.
Now I am in a new area and attempting to learn the area.  Locating places to get online, refill water and where to overnight.  Being closer to the city makes parking a little more challenging.  The upside is that there are more conveniences.  For example, the Starbucks,my favorite place to get online, stay open to 11pm versus 9pm at my previous location.  Finding a place to overnight will be an exercise in trial and error.
This is one of the things about my travels that I am thankful for, even when I am not always excited by the prospect.  It prevents me from becoming too comfortable by forcing me to continuously test myself.   It isn't that I have an allergy to being comfortable but I do have a phobia of complacency.
Now, to see what kind of interesting employment opportunities Denver has to offer.

2 comments:

  1. How are the picnic-ing prospects in your new crib?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One thing that would aid your trials is a smart phone and the All-Stays app that basically covers everything, gas stations, truck stops, walmarts, cracker barrels, and on and on, basically anything for traveling with an RV.

    Just completed a 10,000 mile cross country trip with my old camper using that app to locate overnight stops for free (stayed in 3 total campgrounds for the entire adventure), as well as dump stations, and water supplies.

    ReplyDelete