Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Fun with Fire

On my last trip to Spartanburg, I cleaned off the remaining stuff off the property, burning what I could. All metal and concrete will have to be hauled off by Jason. I only considered this mild work since having a bonfire and torches is so enjoyable for me.
Burning off the last remnants of stuff I will not be taking with me.

Then I drizzled a little motor oil marinade on the pile
I found a hard hat on the property, and as someone who firmly believes safety should be somewhere on my top 3 priority list, I used the construction helmet during torch lighting.

Attempting to light oil torch
Lighting Diesel torch
Successful ignition
The Diesel torch made a better tiki torch.


Conclusion: Oil torch outperforms Diesel torch in longevity and 'warding off wild animals' swing tests. Diesel torch lights quicker.

See video below for Oil torch demo.




The next day, I had to make another fire, this time I was burning some items that may or may not be 'appropriate' to burn. One item gave me a big surprise. When it caught fire, it started creating the blackest, thickest smoke I have ever seen. And the fire literally roared. It looked like the base of the smoke was flammable and the fire was burning the smoke. And the fire stretched out dangerously far from the pit. It burned inside the smoke a good 5 ft at least. I jumped back and pulled out my camera and took a couple of pics.

My smoke signal to local fire towers.
I put no more of that stuff on the fire.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog...Found it with a Google Alert for "Bus Conversion. Will put your Blog in my Reader..Stop By Sometime. Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete