Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thawed out

I held off posting this segment because every time I looked at the pics I experienced vivid flashbacks. It felt like my core temperature would drop, my body would shiver so violently that I wasn't able to type, and I would curl up into the fetal position making noises very similar to a hurt squirrel. Now I can look at the pics without putting on an extra coat.
Actually, I just held off posting cause the photos just aren't that exciting. But an excellent illustration of my coldest night on the bus.
It was a Saturday night, a little over a week ago. I have increasingly become better acclimated to the cold over the past couple of months. Good thing, because the temperatures have taken a nosedive in the past few weeks. The lowest known temperature I had previously been in was around 19 degrees. On this Saturday night, I am sure it had to hit single digits. I ran the Kerosene heater all night and slept comfortably under my thick stack of blankets/sleeping bags. The next morning was really cold.
Remember the condensation issue I had been bellyaching about the past couple of weeks. It turned into an icing issue!

This picture shows the rear window (the one right next to my bed). It has the cellophane insulation over the window and held in place at the bottom with duct tape. You can see the ice start as soon as the cellophane comes in contact with the metal wall. Window is obviously insulated but the metal shell, not so much.

The pic below shows further beneath the window, where condensation has started to flow but became frozen. I crammed my sweater in a crevice to help keep the cold at bay.

This is my frosty toilet. So inviting.
Nala staying warm. The window from above pics is behind the curtain.

I was only mildly uncomfortable. I have gotten use to dealing with the cold. I am surprised that ice formed on the inside, especially with heater going. I will need to address the issue because that will be an insulating issue in the summer as well. The winter weather shows me weak spots in my insulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment