Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Leaving Greenville

The two weeks prior to leaving Greenville have been hectic. Two days before I was to leave I got some R&R time with a few friends at Britt McGregor's house. We sat around the fire pit, had a few drinks and shared stories. The perfect low key night with friends. Britt and I went out downtown on my very last night in town. Great finale to over 12 years in Greenville.

Stacey, Pat, Me, Britt
Fireside chat- Elizabeth, Britt, Pat, Stacey, Me

Elizabeth captivated by master storyteller Stacey Burger
My dog, Nala and Britt's dog, Banks
I woke up to rainy weather Saturday morning and hit the road for Nashville. I split the trip into two parts to practice overnighting in an unfamiliar town. I chose Chattanooga for my layover, because it had gotten dark and the bus was running on fumes. Driving the bus at night, on unfamiliar, mountainous roads, in the rain, at highway speeds required too much attention to be fun. I parked in the Cracker Barrel parking lot.
It was still raining when I woke up Sunday morning and continued to Nashville.

This sign means keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road and don't pretend to be Ansel Adams with the camera.
Bundled up cause there is no working heat on the bus and I have to leave window cracked so windows don't fog up.

Ice on canyon walls in foggy mountain pass

Temporary stereo system- Iphone stabilized by smelly sock

I stole a play from the Nascar playbook and practiced the super safe art of drafting behind big rigs in order to increase gas mileage.

I arrived safely. And I am hooked into my brother's electricity and his electic space heater keeps the bus very warm. Weather feels downright balmy. Lows are in the high 40's. This week I will be getting ready for Keith's wedding. Last night we went to dinner and played poker with his guy friends. Good time. Gotta run and get my suit altered and cleaned to get kerosene smell out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment