Saturday, January 2, 2010

New Year's Eve and the C-C-Cold

It's cold. The forecast looks identical for the next 10 days. Highs around 40, Lows around 20. Knowing it will be this cold for so long is disheartening. I knew it would be cold some, but in my pampered fixed home dwelling life before it seemed South Carolina only had a few truly cold days in the middle of unseasonably warm temperatures. I am much closer to the outdoors now. I will suck it up and make the best of it, but the initial shock literally can take your breath away.
Finding outdoor work is unlikely and if I do succeed I have numbing coldness to look forward to. My mind sometimes likes to insulate me from harsh truths until my body delivers the message.

Last night was warm enough, although the heater only heated the back 1/3 of the bus comfortably. It wasn't too bad. Taking Nala out for her walks was the toughest part. That and I don't like being holed up on the bus. Winter time is always blah here. No snow for winter activities, but also no snow for hazardous driving and metal corroding salt. I turned off the heater before going to sleep and to my surprise the bus wasn't any colder than the coldest time before. I could clearly see my breath but my extremeties hadn't frozen. My pets were snuggled around me (actually Miss Priss slept on my hip, perhaps to take advantage of the scientific principle that heat rises). I run the heater for an hour to thaw things out and make my breath disappear. Run over to Burger King to use their bathroom facilities. Then head out to the Pelham rd library, where I currently am. I am sitting in one of the cozy padded pleather arm chairs by the windows. The beautiful, condensation free, double-paned windows. I can still feel some cold, especially if I put the back of my hand within a couple of inches of them.

I spent a great New Year's eve with my friend Donna, her family and friends. I parked the bus in their driveway taking up virtually every square inch that it offered. They allowed me to plug an extension cord in so I could have power to recharge batteries and have light. I was fed beef from cows that must have been fed choice grain by personal servants. It was cooked as a roast but was more tender and delicious than filet mignon. When I departed they even sent some along with me. I dined on Heavenly beef and garlic butter Pasta Roni last night, with a cherry coke chaser. Then I snacked to my belly's content on holiday colored peanut M&M's. Life is good.
I enjoyed the company...The frenchman, Nicolas (pronounced like Ricola) provided interesting stories in his strong French accent. He reminded me of a masculine Pepe Lepew. But that is because I don't receive enough culture in my diet and childhood references are the best I have now. I met Jack Bacot and his wife, Karen. Jack is the editor of a local magazine and I wish I could have talked to him more. He did point me in the direction of 'On the Road' with Jack Kerouac, a book I have heard mentioned many times before about a guy who writes of his travels across the country. Jack B. told me how Jack K. had written these stories on one long continuous roll of paper and submitted it that way to be published. It makes me feel lazy to just blog. But I have made peace with that guilt.

They are dimming the lights here, so I need to wrap up. I have to go move the bus to a new parking location and prepare for the cold. I will start photographing things again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment