Thursday, June 30, 2011

Fun with New Friends

Now that I am back in Denver I am looking towards the future.  My bus radiator fan has yet to be fixed.  After taking the fan and pulley system off the bus I found, with the help of a local machine shop, that my bearings are good.  It is the shaft that is jacked up.  The previous fix was shoddy.  The bearings wore grooves into the shaft, which caused undesired movement, which in turn, caused my belts to keep falling off.  So now my bus has no radiator fan and finding the replacement part for a 1972 bus is next to impossible.  Fabricating a new part looks to be my best route and it seems like an expensive one at that.
In the meantime, I have been doing some work for Dan.   I am parked in the RV storage lot (or as I like to refer to it - the private gated community).  I have had the opportunity to enjoy some of what Denver has to offer.  I reunited with a small group that I had briefly hung out with before leaving for Eastern Colorado.  They have been a blast and enjoy doing the types of things I do.  Over the past week some of us had a get together to celebrate Amanda taking her board exams for medical school.  It was a great time visiting.  It is amazing that each time this group meets I am introduced to wonderful new people.  It reminds me of the theory of Six degrees of Separation (Google it).
Here are some pics from Daniel's rooftop.



Another fun event was going to Film on the Rocks.  This was actually a pretty big deal for me.  My favorite band, U2, performed a very famous concert that was taped here in the 80's.  The venue is Red Rocks Amphitheatre on the outskirts of Denver.  The place was more awesome than I expected.  It is large but intimate.  It is far and away the best amphitheater I have ever seen.  The best seating is actually higher up.  This will give you the dual benefit of enjoying the show and seeing the Denver landscape for miles.  Words fail to accurately capture the moment.  It is one of those things that must be experienced to understand.  The film presented was Edward Scissorhands.  The movie was enhanced by a sort of audience participation, not the distracting type that detracted from the film.  Cheers when Johnny Depp's character is first introduced and so on.  The people I went with are great.  Clearly they have good taste, (not just for inviting me), but for choosing such a fun event to attend.   The show on July 5 is Top Gun.  Maybe I can convince a few people to go.
Here is a glimpse of Film on the Rocks

 The parking lot

Film on the Rocks crowd or as I call it Going to the movies with the beautiful people.

Right now I am gearing up for a fourth of July weekend camping expedition.  Really looking forward to this as well.  I will be tent camping as my bus sits crippled in Denver.  I will be bringing my dog and I think I have someone to watch after my cat.  Going to be doing a little primitive camping, my favorite variety.  I might even be able to break out the giant inner tubes I have be hauling around with me waiting for a river to beckon them.  Pictures will be posted shortly after my return.  I love this.  I don't know what my camera will capture but I already know it will be good.  And that folks is the story of my life.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen a DMB video at Red Rocks. Would love to catch a live show there. I can only imagine how a movie would be.

    Looks like a great group of people. So good you get to connect with newfound friends again.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been living a fortunate life lately. It is makeup from my time in isolation in eastern Colorado. A Yin and Yang thang.
    Red Rocks is really awesome. One of my favorite places in Denver. I can tell I will be visiting there frequently.
    If you ever come out here, I will be glad to go there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it's time to take radiator measurements and see about harvesting an electric radiator fan assembly from a junked pickup truck that will fit the bus radiator, eliminating the engine driven radiator fan all together.

    ReplyDelete