Saturday, June 25, 2011

Random Pics from Idalia

I am trying to wrap up the post regarding Idalia before it becomes ancient history.  I am more about living in the present and sometimes even in the future than I am the past.  I have one more video compilation after this post.

My time in Idalia was an experience in solitude.  I classify it as a worthwhile endeavor that I will not soon be repeating.  I do not believe people are meant to be totally alone for long periods of time.  In fact, on more than one occasion, I felt like I was on house arrest with the extra penalty of solitary confinement.  The only reasons those feelings cropped up was because I knew my bus was dangerously near a major catastrophe if I drove it and I was totally dependent on someone bringing me groceries every two weeks.
I believe that a month would have been plenty long enough.  That it last two and a half months was pushing the limits.  I don't see how inmates keep their sanity.  I am betting it is because they at least have social interaction with each other.

I don't want to give the wrong impression.  I consider my time in Idalia as a mostly wonderful series of events.  I saw weather that I have never seen before.  An abundance of wildlife that kept me wondering what the new day would bring.  The freedom to dress or undress as I pleased.  I had a second to none work environment for the bus.  The upgrades to the interior of the bus have made a world of difference in style and function.  Although I am worried that fixing up the interior while the motor is having such issues might be akin to putting lipstick on a pig.   I had unlimited electricity, running water and hot showers.  Things that have become a scarcity for me.  But I found myself taking them for granted within a few short weeks.  Now that I am back I appreciate again how good it was to not have to worry for 2 and a half months about those things.

Here are a few more pics for you.

Cat Nap in the basement

One morning I got crazy with breakfast. 4 Scrambled eggs with cheese, Pancakes, fried potato slices, generic Mt Dew,  coffee (made into mocha coffee by the addition of the chocolate syrup), a banana, a whole orange of orange wedges.  (you won't find this kitchen table in any IKEA)

Building in some new cabinets

The difference a little Danish oil makes

I removed the rails from inside and brushed them with some gloss white

 This was my dishwasher.  Actually I was the dishwasher, this was my sink.  Which also doubled as my washing machine.

That is a handsome girl

She has great poise, even with chocolate twizzler nugget on her nose



I got a kick out of the rabbits, they would freeze if I got close, as if I didn't see them.  I didn't see them often though because my wandering dog liked to chase them.

I became more aware of animal trails.  This is the one I suspect the 'bobcat in the yard' used to get up to the house.  My shadow in the picture is intentional.  The placement of the water bottle was not.

This made me think long and hard about flip flops being my preferred footwear.

A couple of Turkey Vultures on the barn

My foyer, prior to new floor installation.

Adding a little class to the front of the bus

And also to the steps

And here is one of the windiest days while I was out there.  Quite a dust storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment