Saturday, February 19, 2011

Comanche National Grasslands, Colorado

On Monday I traveled to from Dumas, TX to Comanche National Grasslands in Colorado.  This is where I camped the first two nights.

It is the most wide open space I have yet to camp.  No electricity, no water, no facilities.  I brought everything I needed for the week.  Nobody else around.  The weather was in the low 70's.
Here is a view off to the right of my bus.

I had arrived the previous evening just as the sun was setting.  I had been making good time, stopping just briefly to check in with the Federal Grassland Management office to let them know my intentions and to pick up maps and other info.  When I turned off the paved two lane road onto the gravel/dirt road that led the 10 miles to my camp site, the sun was beginning to dip behind the horizon.  I wanted to hurry but the road conditions kept me under 30mph.  That was a long 10 mile drive.  
I finally arrived at the destination, that I had found online and which wasn't marked on any map.  It was clearly worth the effort.   The wonderful thing about the Federal lands is that you can disperse camp (or boondock) for free for up to 14 days at a time.  Then you have to move at least 3 miles before you set up another camp.  In theory, I could easily camp throughout the spring for very minimal cost.  Only food and a small amount of gas for the generator really costing anything.  The summer months would require much more generator fuel to keep from roasting my pets on the bus.  
Below are snapshots of my time at my first location.



My bus in the distance.


 

The Rocky Mountains, a future destination, can be seen on the horizon to the west ( and by testing the maximum range of zoom out of my camera)  The Rockies are about 80 miles away from where I was camped.



While this particular campsite provided stunning views of the grassland and far off canyons, it did little to satisfy my appetite to go out and explore.  So after 2 nights I relocated to Withers Canyon and Pick Wire Canyon.

2 comments: