Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Leaving Comanche, Heading to Pueblo

Last Saturday I left Comanche National Grasslands.  The night before I spent a good deal of time for one last chance to see a bobcat.  With my limited (read: virtually nonexistent) hunting skills, I tried to determine the best location to spot a bobcat.  My first attempt was at sunset.  I found a comfortable rock that would allow me to sit still for a long period of time, while also covering my silhouette.  I placed the sun behind me so that any bobcat in front of me would have a tougher time seeing me.  I couldn't do much with the wind, but at least it was blowing from my right to my left, not from behind me towards my viewing area.  
I waited perched like this for over an hour without any trace of a cat.

Then that night, because the moon was so full, I decided to sit in the driver's seat of the bus and watch.  I sat very still for two hours, which was surprisingly difficult to do.  I only shifted my eyes to scan in front of me.  I believe I did see eyes reflecting back at me (because the moon was behind me) on two different occasions, but I can't be for sure.  It could have been my mind playing tricks on me for being so focused.  I saw nothing.  

(I believe this is a good time to point out that some of my thinking may have been flawed.  While spotting the bobcat that day was very fortunate, I took several big risks I wasn't even aware of.  They all revolve around the fact that I was in cat country.  I was under the mistaken impression that if there were a danger of a really big cat that it would have been posted.  I only recently found out that there are only warnings posted when a cat has killed someone, injured someone or acted aggressively towards people or pets.  Mountain lions are a very big risk in this type of terrain.  And while many times they will run off just as the bobcat did, they also will stalk and attack.  There is a reason there is no overnight camping in Pick Wire canyon, too many night predators are out.  Hiking alone, even during the day, is bad news.  Since 1990, all mountain lion fatalities in California involved a solo hiker, biker or jogger.  Groups are safer.  Bringing my dog is also a bad idea, I learned.  She resembles the mountain lion's natural prey and could attract an otherwise benign lion.  And finally, me nosing around in bobcat den's, could have caused me to stumble right into trouble with the bigger Mountain Lion.   I feel that I need to address this issue in case someone reads my blog and says that looks like something cool to do.  And if you need more info on Mountain Lions check out this site: http://www.cougarinfo.org  The confirmed reports 2001-2010 are a particularly sobering read.)

The next day, I pack everything up and head to La Junta.  The roads are pretty well maintained, with a couple of stretches that have washboard grooves.  Those sections give my bus some not so good vibrations.  There are a handful of cattle grates to cross on the way back to the main road.  

If you decide to make the visit this incredible area, don't change your oil or your air filters before coming.  Wait until after your visit to do those things.  The dust is all encompassing here.  Inside and out.  
Here is a view from my side view mirror as I was leaving.

I took the bus to a self service car wash and although it came off easily my relatively new air filters were covered in tan dirt.  They had remained a nice off white along my cross country trip until I hit the dust bowl.  I would still visit there again in a heartbeat.  
Aaah, the sweet sight of a paved road...

So after a couple of days in La Junta, I headed off to Pueblo.  Which is where I am posting from right now in the Walmart parking lot.  I have a little more planning to do.  I may bolt over to Canon City, 30 minutes due west of Pueblo, to camp, see the sights and see if the Pueblo area has any interesting employment opportunities.  

No comments:

Post a Comment