Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Texas Panhandle

It is another chance to test myself in extreme cold.  After the last time, I am not too concerned.  I have the proper supplies, I know the precautions to take (bring my 100lb starting battery inside to prevent freezing), and so I hunker down and get comfortable.  This is the current weather situation.  Note the 'feels like' temperature of -18 degrees and the high wind speeds up to 39mph.  My bus is being buffeted back and forth by the severe gusts.

But I am comfortable.  The most uncomfortable part is walking Nala so she can do her business.  Within three minutes my extremities are a bright rosy red even though they are all covered.   The free campsite I found has electricity AND water.  It is amazing all the city parks out here with free 3 day RV camping.  Good thing, with temperatures this low there will be no moving my bus for a few days.

This is a picture of the window where I put Plexiglass on the top panes.  Frost developed on the bottom panes.  Unlike a car, where you scrape the outside of the windshield in the morning, the frost here is on the inside of the glass.  All the moisture from breathing, cooking, etc.  I don't even bother scraping it. No need in having ice shavings all over my floor.

On a lighter note, the drive here was a blast.  A little hairy bouncing the bus down two lane roads at 65.  The speed limit is 70mph but my 'little bus that could', would only reach that speed going down the steeper inclines. I was lucky to snap this shot of the speed limit sign.  Grab camera, turn it on, point and shoot.  All while trying to keep a speeding bus on the road.  Never have I seen such speed limits on a two lane highway.

This is what most of the Panhandle drive looked like.  
 Occasionally it was spruced up by fields of Oil pumps, but I wan't able to capture a good pic. Driving and photography are not good bed fellows.
I thought Elk City was oil country.  It was just on the cusp of the real oil country. The rare times I actually passed a house, there was 50-50 chance they had an oil pump within 100 ft of the house.
Ok, I am going to ratchet the propane heater up a notch and bundle up.  Maybe tomorrow I will explore.

2 comments:

  1. I think I would be heading south for some warmer weather! Too cold for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously considered going to Mexico. But my passport has expired. Easy fix there. The drug cartels might be another issue. Getting beheading by gang is NOT one of the things I want to do before I die.
    In reality south is going to get this cold too. I just happened to be in a place to continue to my destination. Fuel is the Big Factor. No Sightseeing.

    ReplyDelete