Sunday, February 6, 2011

Next Move

One of my favorite quotes comes from, of all things, an animated movie.  
"According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. It's wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway, because bees don't care what humans think is impossible."
The name of the movie is 'Bee Movie'.  I remind myself of this quote frequently, especially when I have doubts on how this will all work out.  My answer is that I don't know exactly, but I believe I can make it happen and I am willing to do whatever it takes to reach my goal.  And that is all I need.
Ok, I have finally come up with a new game plan.  Since my current area of Elk City, OK isn't brimming with job opportunities I have decided to relocate.  That's the beauty of living this way...moving is easy, relatively.  My current plan is to head to Denver, Colorado.  I will make way slowly scouting out different towns to test the job climate.  I have found several free campgrounds similar to where I am currently parked.  I will utilize those along the way.
The cold has not been kind to the diesel bus.  For those not fully versed in diesel engine technology, the extreme cold makes starting the bus an iffy proposition.  The fuel runs the risk of gelling, the battery runs the risk of getting frozen and even if it stays thawed out it has a serious reduction in starting power.  To the tune of about 20% of warm weather starting power.  This isn't like a car that slow starts on a cold day, this is a bus that won't start at all.  I have taken action to prevent this from happening...by adding diesel additive and by leaving a constant charge on the battery with a charger.
Diesel costs are pretty high, around $3.39/gal, and play a significant role in trip planning.
I apologize for not blogging more actively.  I have been working on a labor of love.  Ever since the beginning I have photographed and videotaped virtually every endeavor I have been through with the bus.  Some of those have appeared on this blog.  Now I am going through all my footage and putting together a little montage of video of the experience.  My inexperience with the new software editing program and my pesky perfectionist side have made it slow going.  I will hopefully have it posted in the next couple of days.
I am going to miss the Super Bowl tonight.  Aahh, the sacrifices one makes...

No comments:

Post a Comment