Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Week

Wednesday started by getting the anticipated knock on my door by an officer of the Elk City police department. He said he noticed me here for the past week and that there was a 3 day limit per visit. I briefly mentioned that I had left for a day every three days and returned. I also mentioned that the locals I have spoken with have encouraged me to 'not worry' about that restriction since there were no other campers jockeying for any of the spots. I still felt I should respect the letter of the law. I invited the officer onboard to get him out of the cold, good relations are important at a time like this, and gave him my driver's license so he could verify that I was not on the FBI's most wanted list. Afterwards he, more out of duty than personal choice, said I could stay 3 more days but then I had to leave. I think I will fudge the 3 day limitation one more day due to it falling on Christmas day (plus it will be in the low 20's here meaning single digits with wind chill).
Ten minutes after the officer left, a local gentleman who I had spoken with previously named (I believe Clinton Barhum), stopped by and asked if I wanted to go with him to feed his cows. He thought since I liked to try new experiences that I would enjoy this. He was right. I bundled up and we headed off in his pickup. As a sidenote, you aren't anybody in Oklahoma if you don't drive a pickup truck. Everybody drives one, little old ladies included.
Here is Clinton unloading a bale of hay we picked up down the road.




This is the Blondie cows we fed first.


The tag in their ear represented Their age in years/how many months pregnant they were.


Next we went to another pasture a couple of miles down the road and fed the Black Angus cow. In the middle of the bunch was a Hereford steer. Cross breeding produces the best results I found out.
The big ol' Bull kept a close eye on me. Very 'I am protecting my harem' look.
Likewise, the cows protected the skittish calf.
This, ironically, is what is called a Christmas tree in oilfield parlance. It is a valve covered cap that allows for releasing whatever precious fluids or gases or underneath. It is put in place after drilling a hole. This particular Christmas tree was no longer used and Clinton told me that the oil company had yet to clean up the area. It was right in his cow pasture. Pasture owners are typically given a deal that provides them with a small percentage rights of whatever is recovered from drilling. These can be quite lucrative.
Wind powered water well pumps like this are common sights in the area. This one is no longer functioning and fixing it isn't an option since the water underneath is all but gone.
So that brings me up to date. I am here at Lake Elk City planning my next step until I am working. I have my internet and phone paid up until Jan 1 but then time for renewal. Life is about to get real interesting real quick. But I wouldn't have it any other way.
Everybody loves a good sunset.

1 comment:

  1. The challenges make you who you are. Good luck. You will make the best of what you have as usual. The cows look fun! Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete