Friday, December 3, 2010

October and November Recap-Misc

Here are few other things I have done lately.
I pimped my dash by painting it bright red. If the dash looks good then I will think the mechanical aspects are good. It's my version of positive thinking (or positive self deception).

While in Columbia, my mom fabricated me some nicer looking and nicer fitting curtains. Much better than my previous decorating. I have to tighten the line on the side curtains to take out the droop.
After leaving Columbia, I went to Greenville. While there I participated in Black Friday for the first time in my life. The trophy I have to show for it is this little beauty. A 32" LCD flat panel TV for my bedroom and DVD player. I paid only $200 for it after waiting in line from 11pm until 5am. I quickly fashioned a stand at the foot of my bed to set it on. Still needs to be stained or painted. I am holding off on wall mounting it due to cost and the questionable integrity of the wall. No normal studs like a traditional house. When I drive I place the TV face down on the bed. It is surprisingly light weight, about 20lbs.


Personal admission ahead:

When I was younger, like pre 10yrs old, I had a security blanket. I know, who would have thunk it. I didn't have a nice little 2ft by 2ft fleece blanket I see kids carrying nowadays. I had a full blown 6ft by 6ft quilt that I dragged around the house while sucking my thumb. I had a name for this blanket...my yoy-yoy (sounds like joy-joy but with a thumb in your mouth)
Anyhow I have kept that blanket with me through every move I have ever made and of course it made the cut to keep on the bus although I had forgotten about it. The thing is literally worn thin. And it smells like it has not seen a washing machine in over a decade, that been stored too long smell. But it is too fragile to machine wash. I kept it in a giant plastic bag that previously held an obviously less important comforter. I pulled it out and put it on my bed for the first time two days ago. I will be hand washing it as soon as I get to Oklahoma. Cool quilt though.

3 comments:

  1. You probably don't remember who made this quilt, it was your great grandmother Hudson in Roanoke, Alabama who was your grandmother Vorhees' mother. She made it during the depression era out of flour sack material. They had to use whatever resources they had in those days and that is the only way they had to get blankets. I think it would give her great pleasure to know it has given you such great comfort over these many years and that you still cherish it. I think it is a fitting symbol of your life style today and am glad you still have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow. i remember the yoy-yoy well. i can't believe you've kept it that long. that's pretty impressive. it's like a sacred relic now. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've kept track of my 'security blanket' It seems appropriate to use it again. I need all the false security to comfort me that I can find.

    ReplyDelete