Friday, December 3, 2010

Russellville, Arkansas

This is a map of my travel since Thanksgiving. I left Columbia, SC went to Greenville,SC. Stayed in Greenville for a few days. I then headed to Nashville,TN. After leaving Nashville I drove to Memphis with the intention of doing some sightseeing. I even spent a second night across the bridge in West Memphis, Arkansas to think it over. In the end I decided I didn't want to visit any downtown locations on this trip. From West Memphis I drove to my current location in Russellville, Arkansas. That is about an hour west of Little Rock, Arkansas.


I am sitting at a Starbucks. Currently, I am looking for some good boondocking places in the Ozark National Forest so I can properly enjoy the area. I am particularly inspired to visit this area after recently watching the movie 'Winter's Bone'. Best movie I have seen in a long time.
I had almost forgotten how much energy conservation I have to practice. Although I have a Wi-Fi card for my computer I drain my battery resources in a few hours and running the generator costs about $3/hr in gas. I have been spoiled the last few months by being able to plug in somewhere. So I buy a cup of coffee and do my hours of research in the warm comfort of Starbucks. Saving propane, gas and electricity. But if I boondock I can entertain myself with the great outdoors. Plus my poor dog has been cooped up for a week. She really needs to stretch her legs properly and run free.
Planning on the fly is tricky. It is locally 6pm on a Friday night so the local Ranger office is closed. I can drive up to the forest but if I choose the wrong route I could waste valuable diesel backtracking. Luckily I am a gambler. Good thing because many of the directions to the spots I am looking at read something like this--take this paved road to that paved road to the gravel road...so far nothing has ended up with marshy bog.
And because of my new Black Friday purchase I can watch tomorrow to see if the Gamecocks can beat a #1 team Twice in the same season. The point spread is 5. SEC championship game tomorrow on CBS. So glad it isn't on ESPN cause all I got is an antenna but all my channels are HD.
I'll let you know how everything turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment