Monday, December 27, 2010

Waiting is the Hardest Part

I have left my previous camping spot. I checked into a hotel with reward points I accrued while working in Johnson City. It's been all too long since I had a proper shower. I only have the room for the night so I am maximizing it. Nala has now been properly showered also. I am doing laundry at the onsite guest laundromat. I will be refilling water jugs and taking care of other maintenance type chores.
I have been able to take care of these things due to a surprise Christmas gift. I was able to pay the $10 pet fee at the hotel (prevented me from taking advantage of this before). Being able to do laundry, keep my phone going for another month and get some necessary supplies are other loads lifted off my back.It has been difficult to secure a place to park the bus while I wait to begin working. A combination of being the holiday season, not being able to mingle with the locals and a general lack of knowledge of the area make finding a spot more difficult. The local Walmart (my usual fall back spot) doesn't seem to be super RV friendly. I love my unique bus but it makes it harder to hide in plain site. A guy I met even mentioned he saw my bus when I parked at Walmart for the night. Way to noticeable! Elk City is basically a small town, not alot of big parking lots to get lost in. No Lowe's, Home Depot, Cracker Barrel or other RV friendly spots.
There is a campground that seems perfect...less than a mile from prospective employers, highly rated Bath House (Private stalls, each with its own sink and toilet), Wi-Fi, Cable TV and 7 food places within walking distance. The downside is that it is $400/mth. Perfect place to call home once I start working...definitely save on diesel and be able to leave pets with heat when I go to far off locations. I will have to find a reliable person to let Nala out for bathroom breaks a couple of
times a day when I am gone but RV folks are good people by nature so I am not worried about that part.
I am sure if I were able to get out more I would meet someone that had a place to park the bus until the job kicked in. If anyone knows anybody in this area feel to let them know about me. :-)

My brother, Keith, reminded me of the power of Google Earth. Actually, I have used it often to scope out a location before I go there...to see if there is adequate bus parking, what is nearby and to generally get a lay of the land. I have decided to include a couple of shots of my previous campground to give you a different perspective of where I was camping.
My exact spot is where the red stick pin is. (As with all my photo's you click on them to enlarge them). You see the lake and across the street is a golf course. I couldn't see the golf course from my site due to hills and distance.

Here is a close up of my site. I used this tool to scope out the camping situation before I went there. I wanted to know exactly where the camping spots were located at the park. I knew those small strips of asphalt were the spots.

I really would like to upgrade my blog to include a more website look, where specific information is easier to find. Also have a section dedicated to just videos so I can post videos that are easily found instead of checking every post. Once I get my parking situation settled I will focus on that. I gotta switch the laundry over. Catch you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment