Monday, December 6, 2010

Ozark camping and Oklahoma

I have been enjoying my trip west. This isn't about getting to my destination, it is about enjoying the areas in between. It is not a popular season to go camping which suits me just fine. I chose the Ozark National Forest that lay just north of I-40 in Arkansas as my first real test into wilderness camping.

The bus driver was alerted to a temporary end of boring interstate driving.
I camped at Shore Lake, a campground maintained by the United States Forest Service. I was attracted to the electric hookups and promise of a hot shower. I was only half lied to. I got the electricity, necessary to recharge batteries and to live in comfort, but the bath house was closed for the season. They even had turned off the water to the campground. Fortunately, I brought an extra 5 gallons that I carry with me 'just in case'. I was able to heat up some water on the stove to wash my hair and essentials. The campground was totally empty. The price was right $8/night. I was going to boondock or dry camp where I live self sustained with generator and such, but it was cheaper in the long run to camp this way. And I don't know how long it will be until I start drawing a paycheck.
The next day Nala and I went out exploring the Ozark Highlands Trail (or OHT). It is designated by blue marks on trees every few hundred feet.
We hiked for hours. Saw a pair of hikers, but other than that I was alone in the woods with my faithful dog.
A small waterfall along the way.
The water was similar in color to glacier run off I had seen in Alaska. A milky blue green.
The funny thing about hiking is that if you hike in a direction for 2 hours, you have to walk 2 hours back. Me and dog found we were slightly out of shape. More of these hikes are needed.

I found out that I did not have internet reception on my mobile wi-fi card or my cell phone. And to make it even more dire, I could not even pick up a TV signal. I had a football game to watch. I finally found out today that maybe my ignorance was bliss. The Auburn Tigers spanked my South Carolina Gamecocks. Still, it was the first time I have been so far off the grid that all three technology gadgets were useless. The only (and probably most important) device to work was my GPS.

I decided to hit the road this morning. I drove into Oklahoma and stock up on information at the visitors center. Since I will be staying in their state for a little while I want to be well educated on the different opportunities available.
Interesting picnic areas at the Visitor's center.
Oklahoma is light on National Forests. I will be spending some time finding alternative home bases while in Oklahoma.

1 comment: