Sunday, March 20, 2011

Free Diesel

There are things that happen in my life that surprise even me. Not unbelievably surprised, because my whole mindset is that things like this happen. With the right attitude, some work, a little listening for opportunity knocking and with a smile from someone up above, incredible things keep happening. Today may go down as the best example yet of this.

It all started with this little ad in the Free section of Craigslist. (A section I don't check often because I usually can't respond fast enough or I am too unfamiliar with the area. Or simply I don't want to invest time and fuel to chase down a potentially false hope.)

OIL AND DIESEL (I/25 COUNTYLINE RD)
Date: 2011-03-19, 11:34PM MDT
Reply to: sale-sprdv-227542xxxx@craigslist.org
used engine oil and trans fluid appx 30 gallons and appx 100 gallons fuel u must siphon out of rig need to empty sunday. call dan 303-888-xxxx and be ready to drain the fuel or p/u the oil with you own container. oil is now in 5 gallon buckets.


As an expert interpreter of Craigslist ads, I first noticed the time it was posted, 11:34pm. It was probably still available. I then Google mapped the address of I/25 and Countyline Rd. It was less than 5 miles from where I was camping. Oh sweet mother of Moses!! I knew there would be some interest when people awoke the next morning and saw that post.

I was the first one there this morning! There were 3 buses at a RV storage lot where the bus owner had stopped paying the rent. The storage lot was selling the buses for scrap metal but was required to remove the oil and diesel first. They had already drained the oil but needed someone to empty the diesel tanks.
I am not making this up, while I am waiting outside the gate for Dan to meet me and let me in, I briefly ponder the possibility that I could just straight out trade my bus for one of those big buses and start a new bus conversion. (Third bus didn't make the picture.) My bus is made of old school, heavy steel. It would be a fair trade considering the scrap yard buys by the ton.
That was only a passing thought and such a swap had too many variables for me to consider. Besides I was uber-focused on my immediate task, getting the liquid gold in the bus bellies.

Dan met me and let me in. Then he led me to the back of the lot. He suggested siphoning it out which didn't appeal to me much. I felt sure that there was a plug I could unscrew and drain the diesel. I was wrong. I had to learn the art of the siphon. This was another case of me theoretically knowing the principle but never having actually applied this knowledge. First thing I did was to sacrifice the garden hose I carry with me. I cut off a 6 foot section to be a siphon hose. Then I dumped the contents out of one of my plastic totes so the tote would be freed up to hold diesel. I placed the hose into the tank until I felt it hit bottom. Then I sucked the diesel through the hose. This is fairly impossible to do without finding out the taste of diesel. If you haven't done so, I suggest you go out and gargle a few gallons. It has a complex and robust mineral bouquet with the lightest hint of sulfur. I liked it so much I did it another dozen times.
I had siphoned about 10 gallons, which was the capacity of my homemade diesel tote, before others started to arrive. I had to take the now full tote over to my bus and siphon it into my tanks. Then go back and siphon some more diesel out of the other buses fuel tanks. The whole situation had a surreal Mad Max feel about it. Although you wouldn't guess it from my goofy grin. (Next time I am sporting leather and a mohawk.)
Things to notice in the above pic: I had to 'elevate' my diesel tote to get the proper siphon flow. And the guy's pickup behind me with real 50 gallon drums and pump. This same guy was also thoughtful enough to let me use his clear hose to siphon with (the benefit is you can see the diesel coming so you don't swallow as much) and he also took this picture.

I ended up getting about 40 gallons. Diesel is pushing $4/gallon here ($3.79/gal exactly). I got about $160 worth of fuel for a couple hours work. But the good times kept rolling...

I asked Dan if I could have a roof vent off one of the buses. He said I could. I have been looking for one of these for over a year! Now I can have easy access to my roof and ventilation for my pets on a hot day! It came out with a little grinding and drilling.

AND he gave me these!!
My regular blog followers will remember the untimely passing of my last 8D Battery. Not being a glutton, I only took one of the batteries.

But Dan wasn't done yet...He also gave me a 50+ gallon water tank. Now I can seriously start dreaming about indoor plumbing!

AND Dan gave me cabinets! Go figure! I have to measure to make sure they will fit, but they look good. No cabinet pictures yet.

AND Dan is allowing me to camp overnight at the storage lot.
With full 50 amp electricity! I haven't been plugged into anywhere since Texas.

Today was a good day.

I only wish I was more mechanically schooled in subjects like: Air Suspension Ride, Allison Transmission Installation, or even Diesel Engine Installation.

BUT Dan also said I could have whatever tires I wanted off the buses!! I have a leaky right rear tire and a spare tire in dire need of replacement. I just have to find someone to install them for me.

AND if that wasn't enough, Dan told me I could use the lot sometime to do bus work, like installing my new roof hatch. Finding a place to be able to work on the bus is wonderful. And so many goodies to work with. AND it all coming with a new friend in Dan.
I didn't get a picture of Dan but I did get one of his pups.

Estimated Values for my Free Finds: Diesel Fuel($160), Roof Hatch ($150), RV Water Tank($200), 8D Battery($300), Cabinets(>$500), Tires x2 ($300 x 2= $600), Camping with power and a place to attach it all to the bus (Priceless).
All from one little Craigslist post that I chased.

6 comments:

  1. Way To Go!!! What A Find, WOW! I'm going to start looking at craigslist more seriously from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great news! God certainly blessed you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mornin Brian

    That was a great day. It seems like Dan is a really nice guy and he's gottom self a couple of great dawgs to. Keep your eye's open for a way to do something good for Dan and keep the good karma flowing };o)

    Peace along the way
    Dennis the bus dweller N.Y.
    www.dennisthebusdweller.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy you did not compromise the foundational integrity of your journey: your BUS!! The tire thing is a total score. Great job. I almost feel like sending Dan a thank you card, myself..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome day bro!....Glad you get those.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hint: Find piece of rag that will pull through hose, tie string to rag, feed string through hose(with enough for you to hold and pull on),put hose in rag end first, give rag time to soak up liquid, the quickly pull(don't jerk) rag through hose, liquid should follow.

    ReplyDelete