Monday, March 28, 2011

Plans for the Immediate Future

This past weekend I took a little road trip to do some work for Bryan, a friend of Dan's.  We were repairing water damage from a pipe that burst.  The house was over a 3 hour drive east from Denver in Yuma county.  So far east we were only 2 miles from the Colorado/Kansas border.  Following us were 4 other guys, Javier, Salvador, Jose and Ramone.
The house is located on 40 acres next to a wilderness area.  Wildlife is plentiful.  Even the drive provided unique glimpses of antelope, a cow giving birth to a calf in the field and herds of buffalo.

Our job at the house was to remove old, water damaged, sub-flooring and replace with new sub-flooring.  This was my first time installing sub-flooring but Javier did a good job explaining how to do it.
Hmmm...I always thought the boards would be closer to each other.

After a full day of work, Bryan brought home dinner

Actually, Bryan's hunting expedition consisted of running to the store for supplies when this wild turkey stepped in front of his truck.  There is an abundance of these birds in the area.  A couple of guys on the crew de-feathered the bird to cook up when they returned home.   I am glad the turkey was not wasted.

That night we sat around and socialized.  Bryan is a gregarious, happy person that reminds me a little bit of Robin Williams.  He has loads of personality and is an really good guy.


Sitting around our makeshift coffee table.

It snowed all day Sunday.  Very nice.

The view from the front porch.  The nearest neighbor can't be seen.  This is WAY out in the boonies.

Bryan offered to let me park my bus in the shop on his property until the real estate agent sells the house.  The shop is huge and empty.  This is a photo of pets inside the shop.  I saw two large (really big...Giagantic) owls in trees on the property.  The shop provided protection for cat.  Plus she helped keep the mouse population down.

I'll maintain Bryan's yard in exchange for covered parking, electricity and water.   I can work on improving my bus properly in the big fancy shop.   He even has a chicken coop and garden area he said I could use if I wanted.
I told him I would do it at least for a month.  I won't have access to the internet out there which is my main information resource and also means it may be awhile before my blog gets updated.  My cell phone barely gets a signal.  Here's the coverage map for my Virgin broadband2Go internet card.  The yellow push pin is where I will be.


It will cost a small fortune in diesel to get there and to eventually return to the Denver area.
But I believe it would be an incredible life experience and an excellent opportunity to view wildlife, practice being self sufficient and having vast amounts of room for my pets to roam.  I miss working in the yard and this will be a chance to get my fill of outdoor work.
My plans are to drive the bus out to Bryan's house this weekend and get settled into my new, temporary home.  Find out the details of the projects he needs done.  So this week will be busy getting ready.  I must download all relevant information I think I might need (how to fix bus stuff, basically).   I need to get a fishing license to take advantage of the stocked ponds in the area.  I want to obtain whatever things I will need for bus improvements (cabinets, PEX water lines, some waste water tanks to install, a water pump, etc)  I can unload the bus inside the shop and have my stuff stored safely from the rain.  
I will be taking lots of pictures and I will write blog entries while I am out there  (to post when I get back to civilization).

6 comments:

  1. You may not need a fishing license if it's on private property. I know here in Mississippi they don't require it for private property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the fishing ponds are down the road on public land. I wish it was on private land, it would save me $40.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check that, "out of state residence" fishing license is $56 plus $10 Habitat stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing all your wildlife pictures. I know Miss Pris and Nala will love having a nice place to explore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on your next adventure! Your bus is beautiful! We were wanting an old school bus but ultimately decided we couldn't afford the fuel to power something like that.
    Thanks for the free camping link and the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You realize, you are providing Miss P and Nala their own life of a lifetime, too..

    ReplyDelete