Friday, March 25, 2011

Roof Hatch Installation-Part Deux

Here is the what I accomplished today with the roof hatch.
Armed with Dan's Sawzall, I removed the inner roof skin.
It wasn't easy. The inner skin is slightly thinner metal than the outer skin.  The rapid sawing motion of the blade cause the metal to vibrate and flop around.  I used a bar to keep the shaking to a minimum so I cut the final portion.
Now I had a hole all the way through my roof.  (Gulp)
I test fitted the hatch frame.  I placed the inner skin temporarily over the top to keep some dust out.
After many different test fittings and micro adjustments I finally got to a position I felt was just right.  I pre-drilled all the holes for the hatch.  Then put down butyl tape around the perimeter of the hatch and over the pre-drilled holes.  I silicone caulked the inner corner of the frame. Then I put the frame down one final time and bolted it down.  You can clearly see grinder marks from when I removed hatch from the other bus.
After the screws went in I covered the outer seam and the screw heads with some butyl caulk.

This stuff is the best to use on RV roofs.  It is also the messiest caulk I have ever used.  It is rubbery and not easy to shape with your finger.   But it is more durable and flexible than silicone.  I really gobbed this stuff around the outside.
Here is a pick after I installed door to frame.  This is hatch door closed. (Cosmetic stuff like washing fingerprints off and fine tuning a few other things will happen later)

Hatch Door Open (driving height, not escape height)

Inside view of hatch before interior trim was added.
After some trial and error, I got the trim to fit the curve of the bus ceiling...pretty much.  Ignore the slight cracks in places between frame and trim.  Another cosmetic issue for later.
 I do believe the professional grade installation is pretty tight...and it really makes my curtains pop.

I have a few more things to do to fine tune it but I am really pleased with the finished product.   One more big project under my belt and checked off my list.

 I have to run now and put stuff away and pack.  I am going a few hours away for a job fixing up a house tomorrow morning.  Dan, you'll remember him from my free diesel post..he has been providing work for me all week.  Started out pulling Turbo chargers out of the buses that were salvaged and doing some other things.  Dan took me for a drive through, mini tour of downtown Denver last night.  Very cool downtown area, lots to do.  Anyhow, I will be gone for a few days.  I am leaving the bus here at the storage lot, but I get to bring Nala along with me.

7 comments:

  1. I have to say that sitting behind a desk, I bet you wouldn't have had the ability to not only create something with your own two hands, but also to get to experience generosity and the goodness of your fellow man to the extent that you'be had along the way. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job getting your new hatch installed and meeting another challenge head on. I am thankful God has provided a friend who is willing to put your skills to good use and it sounds like you have much to be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you the same guy that was too chicken to fix his fuel line? Now your sawing holes in the top of your bus? You the man !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nelly- I literally live for moments like I have had this past week and the other similar opportunities. Meeting strangers and becoming friends is one of the greatest rewards of this journey. And I get by with a little help from my friends...
    Mom- Sometimes a person has got to have little faith..faith..faith (pop song reference). I make sure I give mine the tri-athlete workout.
    Jason- You helped give me the courage to move on to bigger and bolder projects. And I met another person like you and Dan. I'll write about upcoming plans in my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I rebuilt a '74 77 passenger Chevy bluebird body school bus years ago and it was our trusty camper for a decade.
    We used metal studs on the interior giving us the option of curved edges, and kept every window unblocked except the bathroom.
    We used blinds on either side the entire length and when it was done, it looked like an old railroad car.
    We carpeted up the walls to the "elbow bumpers" giving us a little insulation.
    We made stained wood window screens and tacked them to the outside.
    We had a friend who made their camper into a food vending wagon, so we got all the interior appliances, including the furnace, which we installed on the outside of the bathroom wall facing the living area in the front.
    These are just a few ideas I can offer you, we are on the road and I don't have access to the old pictures we have of her, but she was a good camper and we miss her.
    We retired her and she is now our friends hunting camp in Minnesota.
    Good luck on your build!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh..PB is your mom..PB-You should be proud..Brian is doing what most dream about but never have the opportunity, drive, passion, willpower, forward thinking or free spirit to venture to do. Those of us who have known Brian for years are fortunate that we can live a small peice of our "fearful to dive into the unknown" through Brian. I for one am thankful that he is doing what he is doing and allowing us a glimpse into his self discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where did you get the used hatch? I've been looking for one for a long time.

    ReplyDelete