Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Thoughts and Things

I haven't been as inspired to blog lately because I am focused on learning more about my new surroundings.  Without spectacular pictures to post it feels anti-climatic to write about 'normal' life stuff.   I haven't made any jaunts into the nearby mountains.  Instead, I have been spending my time at bookstores and coffee shops, getting online and reviewing potential opportunities.  My friend Ola has introduced me to some of her friends.  I must admit it has been refreshing to spend time with people similar to the ones back home.  They are witty, cerebral and genuinely good people.
For now, I am relying on the kindness of stranger/friends to give me a ride to someones house for group activities.  It is humbling to be dependent on others.  I embrace humility, but I will do everything possible to become independent again.  What strange people we are when someone wants to help us/or God forbid we actually NEED a helping hand.  We activate the internal Pride button as an act of self defense.  Most of the time I have successfully over ruled the Pride launch codes.  I can only be humbled for a short while before Mr Pride rears his ugly head again.  I constantly remind myself that humility is a necessary feeling at times.  Most men choose to ignore  the times when there were humbled (especially after certain sporting events).      My own personal humility is having new acquaintances to rescue/assist me to get to important group meetings.  I have no qualms taking a bite from humble pie.  It can be good for you.  One day, when you are elderly and need someone to wipe your bottom, you will be learning all about some humility.  So I suggest practicing while it is easier.  So if someone wants to pick me up and take me to church or a group meeting , I will accept with a thankful heart.                          

You won't find many posts on this blog referencing religion or politics.  These are two areas that I keep protected in privacy because they are deeply personal.  I am a profoundly spiritual person (I detest the term 'religious') and I believe that my particular beliefs belong to a minority of Christian faiths.  This subject would be a posting all of it's own.  For now, I save this for one on one personal conversations.

As for politics, I will just sidestep that for now since there is nothing positive coming from two people with opposing views debating.  Only few can engage in a conversation respectfully on such a charged subject.  I personally enjoy listening to someone else's views but they seem bothered that I refuse to adopt the same thinking.  I prefer to agree to disagree and stay friends.

I have been able to work out a few times at Ola's apartments which has a surprisingly good gym.  Free weights with dumbbell pairs up to 50lbs is perfect to get me started back on the road to fitness.

I am still job hunting and am confident that I will find one soon enough.  

The last couple of days have been pretty cold, with lows in the 20's.   My propane heater has been been acting strangely lately.  It keeps wanting to turn off.  I have narrowed down the cause to being 1) high altitude.  My current elevation is around 6,000 ft.  The oxygen sensor may be detecting a lack of oxygen and shutting the unit down.  2) The air inlets of the heater are dirty.  I have cleaned them as well as possible.  It could be a combination of the two.  Whatever the case, it is a pain, especially when I have a brand new, full propane tank ready to bathe me in its radiating warmth.  I don't mind the cold so much because I can bury myself under the covers.  It becomes a problem when I want to update my blog and my icy fingers find it difficult to type.  Then the fact that I must exhale to either the left or right so that my breath vapor doesn't block the view of my screen.   The reflexive shaking of my cold body causes me to hit the wrong keys.  Oh the joy of blogging - rough and tough style.  
Once I am settled in I am going to upgrade my bus cabinets.  The Denver area Craigslist has the most abundant items in their FREE section.  Couches, Love seats,  kitchen cabinets and even found 2 stoves similar to the one I have.  Problem is getting them.  The bus is not nimble enough to go into many suburb neighborhoods.  I may attempt to coordinate a scavenger hunt of sorts.  Have a team of 3 vehicles ready to go part of one Saturday to pick up items as they come up.  I can preprint wish .  list and cabinet sizes and other things.  I could see this turning into a way to help various needy families get what they need.  It is better than buying them gifts that could be expensive when someone in the same town in giving away the same item.  We would be recycling facilitators and helping those that needed it the most.  Just some ideas off the top of my head thoughts.

I am going to try and tackle that propane heater one more time before I go to sleep.  My bus is parked in Home Depot parking lot and has a slight tilt that makes walking the length of the bus a balancing act, especially in the dark.  No longer a problem for me.
I look forward to another great day tomorrow.  Weather will be warming up.  The more applications I send in the better the odds I will find someone that recognizes they can have an overqualified person at fire sale prices.  Perhaps I should work on my modesty....

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of you having a heart to help others. Your journey has given you a great appreciation of living simply and without some basic needs. This will give great meaning to your life and journey as it's not just about us but the lives of those we help along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of you having a heart to help others. Your journey has given you a great appreciation of living simply and without some basic needs. This will give great meaning to your life and journey as it's not just about us but the lives of those we help along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly, I have it good comparatively and I have chosen to trade certain creature comforts for the experiences, insights and wisdom gained. There are many people who actually have a need for simple things. Things that others toss away.

    ReplyDelete