Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Denver Rocks

Here is a little recap by map of the routes I have taken since leaving Oklahoma. The 725 mile road trip where I spent the last 3 weeks.
Elk City, OK - Borger, TX - Stinnett, TX - Dumas, TX - Comanche National Grasslands (2 camping spots) - La Junta - Pueblo - Canon City - Deer Haven - Back to Pueblo - Denver

The big picture (Click it to enlarge)

Focused on Comanche National Grasslands just south of La Junta, CO

Pueblo to Canon City to Mountain (Ice Driving) Camping

Showing La Junta, Pueblo, Canon City and Denver destinations

Ever since I first visited Colorado over 10 years ago, I have known this is the state for me.  It has been reconfirmed again, every day I am here.  It is the simple things, like how the view of the Rockies can make even the common strip mall look better.

Even as I sit in Borders Bookstore to do some online research this is the view.

Pike's Peak, which is west of Colorado Springs and about 60 miles away from me in Denver, is clearly present.

It is really tough to accurately capture the magnificent view.  Even award winning, giant, coffee table books don't fully do the Rockies justice.  They are a permanent part of every landscape in this area.  And they are huge.  Back east, the highest point east of the Mississippi is Mt Mitchell.  It rises about 6,000 ft above sea level.  Denver reaches that altitude, and it is at the foot of the mountains.  Colorado has 53 mountains with Peaks in excess of 14,000 ft, referred to as 14'ers or fourteeners.
I am in constant awe.  Every time I have been out here, I have felt the same way.  I got excited because I saw rabbits at my friend's apartment complex parking lot.  Not necessarily unique, but don't pretend that you don't lower your voice a little and say "hey, look, there's a rabbit".  You definitely do it in the presence of kids.  Ironically, my second thought after "wow, that's cool"  was "so that is what the predators (Bobcats, Coyotes) are eating on.  Wonder if these guys were followed?"
Here is the night time shot I got of one glowing eyed rabbit.

I am still learning the basics of getting around, what is where and all the other logistical issues of living in a new city.   The fun part is doing it with a 30ft bus.  Finding a place to park it is probably the toughest thing.  Lately, I have been sticking to strip malls and other large retailers.   I enjoy the search for the (temporarily) missing answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment